Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Memory

How might your knowledge of the memory processes guide your instructional decisions?

My knowledge of the memory process will most likely guide the techniques and methods that I use to teach my future students. In class, one of the things we talked about concerning long term memory was that when you have an emotional connection to a subject, you tend to remember more about it. I think that teachers can definitely use this to their advantage. It all boils down to knowing your students and maintaining their interest. If you can find creative ways to relate topics and concepts in your curriculum to the students’ lives, they will have an easier time retaining the information they have learned. Another way to use my knowledge of memory to guide my instructional decisions would be to focus on distinctiveness. I would try to make the lessons unique and present material in an interesting way so that students will have something that stands out to them to refer to when trying to remember what they have learned.

I found this video kind of cool because it was done by a student for an Educational Psychology course!

 

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,

    Working off kids interest can make the biggest difference when getting children to engage. With a little more effort from the teacher you can integrate all the different subjects into the topic of the children's interest. I feel like though today teachers find this more difficult. If you are interested in this you should look into the Project Approach website (www.projectappraoach.org) and they have several books that we have used in our child and family study courses for work at the ELC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your ideas of using distinct and memorable instructional activities to make a lasting impact on your students. This will be very effective. Great post!

    ReplyDelete