Friday, February 1, 2013

Learning Environment/CSEL Contiuum

In order to create a learning environment that is conducive to learning, I would make sure that my classroom was very inviting and warm. I believe that in order to learn, students have to feel comfortable in their learning environment. I would want my students to feel that they could share with their peers and work together effectively. I would also make sure that I, as a teacher, did everything I could to promote academic success for my students. I want my students to enjoy learning and I would encourage them to reach their full potential constantly. I think that a conducive learning environment also has to be neat, colorful, and visually stimulating. I would  cover the walls in my classroom with helpful charts and posters that the students could reference when needed, and have tons of books for them to read.



The case study that I am working with for my CSEL is the one about Lisa, a third grade student who is having trouble working in a cooperative learning group. In order to deal with the misbehavior in this case, I would first try to identify the source of Lisa's behavior. I would look back and see if Lisa misbehaved before this particular small group activity. I would also take into consideration what I know about Lisa's home environment and community. A student's life at home could play a big role in how they behave at school and how they interact with other students. It can also be a distraction and hinder their ability to learn.

In order to begin the process of restoring the classroom environment and ensuring that the other students in Lisa's cooperative learning group can complete the project they are assigned, I would pull Lisa aside and address her behavior. I would remind her of the purpose of the cooperative learning group and let her know that I am disappointed in her behavior. I would also let Lisa know that her behavior has a negative impact on the other students. I would ask Lisa why she has been misbehaving. I would let her know that this discussion should be considered as a warning and that I expect her behavior to improve.

If Lisa's behavior does not improve, I might remove her from the cooperative learning group so that the other students can at least complete the assignment. I would give Lisa a task to do on her own in the meantime. Depending on how Lisa adapts to this new arrangement, I may send a note home to her parents and set up a conference to discuss Lisa's behavior and/or enforce some disciplinary action.

My goal in this situation would be not only to understand why Lisa is misbehaving, but to use that information to work with Lisa and get her to a place where she can enjoy learning and working with others.

I found this article, "Parental Perceptions of Cooperative Learning," very interesting. I think that parental influence can impact a student's behavior greatly so it was nice to see that so many parents supported cooperative learning in this study.


3 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,

    Your analysis of your case study is great - I really appreciate that you thought about Lisa and her home life at the beginning of the intervention continuum. We need to always consider that our students' behavior might be from something else. I think it's great that you also try to work with her parents to determine what is going on. What else might you do if what you have done doesn't continue to work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,

    Like Anne, I also like that you would find out about Lisa's home life to see if it is affecting her group work. I hadn't thought of this when planning my continuum of intervention, but I can see how it's important to consider.

    And I also decided that it might eventually be necessary to remove Lisa from group work. This was the last step of my intervention. And I like that you would follow this up with a note to her parents if she doesn't eventually decide she can rejoin group work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth,

    I completely agreed with your ideas on creating a learning environment. I agree that an organized and colorful classroom is an inviting place and allows children to be more independent.

    Your analysis of the case study is great!I really liked how you said you might remove Lisa from the group and give her another task to complete on her own. I think as teachers we have to be very mindful if one child's behavior is being disruptive and prohibiting others from learning and you definitely took that into consideration!

    ReplyDelete