Thursday, February 7, 2013

Assessment

The lesson plan that I would like to use for assessment is a 2nd grade reading lesson. This lesson would focus on the use of vocabulary words and comprehension from a story in our textbook.

In order to informally assess this lesson plan, I would give the students a homework assignment that would require them to look for evidence in the text to answer questions that I came up with. The next day in class, we could go over the questions and the students could grade their own papers to see how well they did. I would then ask students to raise their hands if they got all of the questions right, or missed one-two questions. Another way that I would informally assess the students would be to give the students their vocabulary words and the definitions on paper cards and have them play "memory." I would put them in pairs and observe the students to see who could match them up quickly and accurately.

In order to formally asses this lesson plan, I would give the students the story assessment that is provided by the writer(s) of the text book. I would also give them a standard vocabulary quiz.

I also found this video on You Tube that demonstrates how a teacher can assess a student individually. Although this would take more time, It is also extremely important. A running record is one example that is discussed in the video.

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the memory game. This can make it more fun for the students.

    I also really like that you mentioned running records and posted the video about them. In my Reading Education 430 class, we practiced taking running records, so we could see how much information you can gather from them. I really liked them and plan to use them in my own class someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,

    I love the idea of making things a game. I think it is very helpful for children who might have anxiety over an assessment even if it is just a simple quiz but they do great when things are made into a game! I also liked the video. I think you are correct that doing individual assessment would take a long time but i think it is very beneficial to do periodically throughout the year. However i think you can do an informal individual assessments by making sure you go to each students desks during the week and listening to them read and checking fluency quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The memory game is a great idea! Running records are really critical for helping with reading development - I'm glad that you mentioned it. It's time consuming but with your second graders, it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete