Sunday, September 30, 2012

Making Words Counts!


The reading for today focused on how good readers use phonics and their previous knowledge to help them learn to spell and pronounce words that they have never seen before. Chapter 5 in Classrooms the Work offers many different lessons that educators can use to help students recognize patterns in words. Students can then take these patterns and use them to decode other, more difficult words. The activity that I find most interesting is ‘Making Words.’ I like this activity because it is a great way for students to develop reading strategies and put them to use. The Making Words lesson is definitely something I plan to use in my future classroom. I also like how this activity is equally beneficial for both struggling readers and advanced readers. Each child has an opportunity to participate and because the activity is hands-on and gives children the chance to figure things out independently, they will be more likely to retain what they have learned. 

  • What are some strategies that you use when you come across a word that you don’t recognize?
  • Do you remember your teachers using lessons similar to the ones mentioned in Chapter 5 when you were in elementary school?

3 comments:

  1. Making words is a fabulous activity. We will actually gets some hands-on practice with this activity next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the making words activity listed in the reading. It is something that I would love to try with my future students. When coming across words that I do not know I always result to sounding it out. I believe I do this because I was constantly told to do so when I was just starting to read. The strategy stuck in my head and I use it every time a see an unfamiliar word. I honestly do not remember many of the lessons my teachers used, but I am sure some of them were similar to those listed in Chapter 5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that all of the activities mentioned can be really useful in a future classroom. The making words activity sounded very entertaining to young students. I also liked the jeopardy option and I think that there is a lot more fun games that can be created to help with this lesson. As far as in my elementary school days, I can only remember sounding it out. I probably would have liked these activities tons more.

    ReplyDelete