Monday, September 10, 2012

Classrooms that Work/Independent Readers/Effective Reading Instruction

http://pinterest.com/pin/284008320221439528/

The main idea for today’s readings is that there are average and exceptional teachers; the difference between the two is that exceptional teachers know how to make a classroom work and do certain things to ensure that all students in their classrooms become great readers and writers. The importance of structured and independent reading time is one of the examples that really stood out to me. I definitely agree that enjoying reading on your own at a young age helps a lot in the long run. From my personal experiences, I know that I would have had so much trouble in school if I did not like to read. In order to foster a love of reading in my future students, I will have to go above and beyond to meet their needs and create an effective learning environment. The readings for today encouraged me to want to become an exceptional teacher so that I can make sure my students are proficient in reading.
  • Should all teachers be held to the same standards as the exceptional teachers that were described in all three of the readings for today?
  • Is it fair that some students benefit from having an exceptional teacher and others do not have that opportunity?

1 comment:

  1. I do think that all teachers should be held to the same teachers and expectations. Is that realistic? I do not think so. As a teacher, one should want to live up to those standards.
    I do not think it is unfair or fair that students do not all get "exceptional" teachers. An exceptional teacher to one student may not be to another. I do not think it is fair for a student to get a bad teacher.

    ReplyDelete