Sunday, September 16, 2012

Importance of a Literacy Foundation


The main idea for this week’s reading is the importance of children having a foundation in literacy before they even attend school. In the article, “The Jones family’s culture of literacy,” the author discussed how important it was for the various generations in the Jones family to get an education and be able to read. I really enjoyed reading about how reading had become a part of the family’s culture and even the youngest Jones, KiKi, was already being introduced to the concept of reading. I definitely agree that the earlier you begin to teach a child about reading, the better. This gives children an opportunity to be a step ahead when they do start school. The textbook supports the idea of building a literacy foundation by giving various examples of how educators can help students develop one. There were many fun activity suggestions in the book that I will definitely keep in mind to use in my future classroom such as how to teach concrete words and encouraging phonics spelling.
  • Did your family culture encourage building a literacy foundation?
  • What are some other creative ways that teachers can build a literacy foundation in the classroom?

3 comments:

  1. The reading's emphasis on the foundations of literacy really made me think of the role models that I had in my life as a child. I think its so important that not only parents are positive role models for reading but also that family friends and extended family. This 'foundation' will serve the student very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, when reading your blog I thought about the reading Billboard game. Not necessarily a game, but more of an annoyance for my parents. When I was first learning to read I would read every single billboard I saw out loud. I think it is important to encourage children to read everywhere and anything. I think that was large part of how I began to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You brought up a few good points in your post. Personally, when I was growing up, literacy was such a big part of my household, similar to the Jones'. My older siblings always gave me books when I was younger, especially before I started school. I think by them constantly encouraging me to read books, and for them to share their knowledge with me helped me become the strong reader I am today.

    ReplyDelete