Sunday, November 11, 2012

Guided Reading



Pinned Image



In “Guided Reading: A Research-Based Response to the Challenges of Early Reading Instruction,” Anita Iaquinta discusses the importance of guided reading in order to offer students’ balanced literary instruction. One of the benefits of guided reading is that teachers can match up the material that the students are learning with their current level of ability. As time goes on, children can move on to reading more difficult texts and are continuously challenged to find meaning in the materials they are reading. The role of the teacher during guided reading activities was explicitly stated in the article, which gave instruction on what to do before, during, and after guided reading instruction. The author also mentions how “guided reading reinforces problem-solving, comprehension, and decoding” (418). I agree that guided reading is very effective and I got to witness a teacher using guided reading instruction during my real-life reading inquiry. It was obvious that the guided reading helped a lot and it was interesting to see how the students worked at each leve.

  • Do you remember having guided reading instruction when you were in elementary school?



Iaquinta, Anita. "Guided reading: A research-based response to the challenges of early reading instruction." Early Childhood Education Journal 33.6 (2006): 413-418.

4 comments:

  1. To be honest, most of my elementary years are a blur. However, I agree with the points you made in your response, in particular that guided reading reinforces problem solving skills. This is essential and very important in a world that is based around problem solving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vaguely remember doing something similar to guided reading, but it wasn't in elementary school. In my opinion, I think guided reading is better suited for upper elementary and middle grades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of memories involving guided reading from when I was in elementary school. I feel like a lot of my time spent in the classroom was dedicated to getting into our reading groups and reading story after story, with and without our teacher. Especially in 3rd grade, I remember my teacher would call different groups each day to come to the "reading corner" to practice reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really remember having guided reading in grade school. I remember every day our teacher would read to us from a book, and later on we would practice silent reading, but I don't remember ever reading with a group and then discussing it with the teacher until high school. I think having guided reading would have been a lot of fun though and probably very beneficial to all of us no matter what level of reading we were at.

    ReplyDelete