Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Reason for Reading




In order to comprehend, readers need to think while they read. Chapter 7 in Classrooms that Work gives us various comprehension strategies that teachers can use in their classrooms. I never realized how much thinking actually goes into comprehension. Teaching children how to comprehend while they read can be very complex but with the right techniques they can build a great foundation for future learning. Through activities such as literate conversations, think-alouds, story maps, and “doing” the book, children can fully understand what they are reading and why. It is extremely important for children to question what they are reading in order to comprehend. Otherwise, they have no idea why they are reading which gives them no motivation to read. According to our textbook, “comprehension is the reason and prime motivator for engaging in reading.” Without comprehension, reading is pretty much a waste of time. Let’s make sure that we teach our future students how to comprehend so that reading is a beneficial and enjoyable experience for them!

  • Do you recall participating in any comprehension activities when you were younger, such as think-alouds, questioning the author, or acting out a story?
  • Do you ever feel like you’re reading without comprehending? What kind of strategies do you use to make sure that you understand the text you are reading?

2 comments:

  1. I love that you have "The Reason for Reading" as your title--it is so true. What is reading without comprehension?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do read without comprehension all the time! In my opinion, that isn't really reading at all. I catch myself just zooming through and not understanding what in the world I just read. I will usually just slow down, focus, and reread the material and try to focus on the main points. I am trying to recall comprehension activities when I was younger but I just can't remember. I did do some KWL charts in middle school but that is all I can really remember right now.

    ReplyDelete